The Rick-O-Sound (Rickenbacker)

Stereo Signal Split Box

   Home      FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Do all Rickenbackers have Rick-O-Sound™?

A:  No.  Many do, and many don't.  The easy way to tell is to check the output jack(s).  If there is only one jack, it is a standard mono instrument.  If there are two jacks, you "probably" have Rick-O-Sound™.  There are exceptions.  These Rickenbacker models - 360V64, 360/12V64 (like the one pictured above), 360CW, and 360/12CW - have two output jacks, but they are both the same mono signal (called parallel mono).  The Rich-E-Split box will not work with these models.

Q:  Will the Rich-E-Split box work only on Rickenbackers?

A:  No.  The Rich-E-Split box will work great on any guitar or bass with two pickups, as long as it has been wired for stereo and has a stereo output jack.  It is a fairly easy procedure for someone with a little electronic expertise.  Generally this works best with passive pickups.  Many instruments with active pickups also use an internal circuit board which makes isolating separate pickup wires difficult.

Q:  Will the Rich-E-Split box work on a Rickenbacker bass?

A:  Absolutely!  If fact, about half of all Rich-E-Split boxes are bought by bass players.  The beauty of Rick-O-Sound on a bass really shines.  You get the deep fullness on one side, and that famous growl on the other side.

Q:  Isn’t there a device made by Rickenbacker to handle the Rick-O-Sound™.
A:  There used to be.  It was a box called Rick-O-Sound™ (of course).  It had a stereo cable built into it, and two mono jacks for output.  Rickenbacker stopped making them some time ago.  They chose to devote all of their attention to their top quality instruments, fortunately for us Ric owners.  The old R-O-S boxes turn up occasionally on places like eBay, and they generally sell (used) for an insane amount of money.
Q:  Do I have to get a stereo cable?
A:  Yeah, you do.  The Rick-O-Sound™ output is stereo.  If you want to split the signal, you need to start with a stereo cable from the instrument to the Rich-E-Split box.  After that your standard mono instrument cables will work fine.  Stereo cables are also referred to as "TRS" cables.  Click HERE for more details about Stereo (TRS) Cables.
Q:  Can’t I just buy a stereo split Y-cord from "Radio Sh..k".
A:  Sure you could.  Would you really want to?  The Y-cord would be subject to a lot of movement, stretching, and abuse.  Plus you would still need to buy adapters and/or additional cables to get to where you are going.  The advantage of the Rich-E-Split box is that in addition to the premium components, solid construction, and Switchcraft™  jacks, is that you choose the brand, length, and quality of cables you want to use.  Cables are a very personal choice – with the Rich-E-Split box the choice is still yours.
Q:  What happens if I plug into the wrong jack on my Ric?
A:  Don't worry... the world won't end.  If you are using the Rich-E-Split box properly configured, and you plug the stereo cable into the "Standard" jack on your Ric, you'll probably hear both pickups going to the amp for the bridge (treble) pickup, and nothing to the amp for the neck (bass) pickup.  This is because the standard jack doesn't have a separate contact to get the neck (bass) pickup when using a stereo cable.  If you plug a regular (mono) cable into the Rick-O-Sound jack, you'll only get the bridge pickup.
Q:  What happens if I plug into both jacks on my Ric?
A:  First, why would you want to?  Second, Rickenbacker says don't do it.  But basically the standard jack, when plugged in, has a switch that blends the two pickups together.  In doing so the stereo (ROS) jack also gets the pickups blended together to the bridge output from the Rich-E-Split.  That negates the purpose of using this box at all.  Besides, you would probably trip over two cables coming out of your Ric!
Q:  Nothing is written on my jack plate... which one is for Rick-O-Sound?
A:  It is common for the original writing on the jack plate to wear off over time - especially on heavily-used and vintage models.  Unless someone rewired it, the Rick-O-Sound is generally the one farthest away from the strap button, or closest to the floor when you have your Ric hanging on you.
Q:  I bought a Rich-E-Split box, but when I first tried it I got nothing from the neck pickup output on the Rich-E-Split box - just the bridge pickup output was working.  Is the box defective?
A:  No, the box is not defective.  This is a common issue from some of our customers when they first try to use the box.  And in every case (so far), this is because you are trying to use a regular mono cable from the instrument to the stereo input on the Rich-E-Split box.  It doesn't matter if you are plugging into the Standard or Rick-O-Sound jack on the instrument.  A regular mono cable has only the tip and sleeve conductors.  The tip is the bridge pickup.  The neck pickup goes to the ring conductor of a stereo cable.  When using a mono cable, the neck pickup is shorted to the sleeve (ground), so it won't work.  Again, you DO need a stereo (TRS) cable!  Click HERE to learn more about Stereo (TRS) Cables.

Rick-O-Sound™ is a Registered Trademark of Rickenbacker International Corporation.
Rich-E-Split is in no way affiliated with, endorsed, supported, or authorized by Rickenbacker International Corporation.